American Association of University Women (AAUW) – Empowering Women Since 1881
Local to Global
AAUW LA MESA – EL CAJON BRANCH (CA), established in 1952, has about 180 members and is one of the largest AAUW branches in California. LMEC Branch is affiliated with AAUW California and AAUW National.
History of La Mesa-El Cajon Branch
For almost 70 years, the La Mesa Branch has been active in our community and when we merged with the El Cajon Branch in the mid-1990s, our branch became one of the largest in the state.
• We have maintained our involvement in the community over the years.
• We are in the local schools during March for Women in History month and also in May for Career Day for 5th-grade girls.
• We have networked with League of Women Voters and other like-minded community organizations.
• Longtime members can be proud of our achievements which continue to attract new members dedicated to our mission to advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy.
• We provide scholarships for women in our local colleges.
• AAUW Fund provides national fellowships, scholarships and grants for advance university degrees.
• We fund a Tech Trek science camp for middle school girls to enhance their learning opportunities in STEAM.
• We host Speech Trek contests for high school students in February.
• First Female is an essay contest for high school girls held in March.
• International Affairs informs us about women around the world such as the Women Peacemakers.
• Public Policy provides us with up-to-date info on women’s issues.
2020-2021 Elected Officers:
Co-Presidents- Patti McCann and Joan Camana
President-Elect- Joan Camana and Vicki Spilkin
Program Co-VPs- Pat Green, Barbara Jania-Smith, Mary Decottignies
Membership Co-Vps- Mary Ann Church, Maureen Seitz, Judy Williams
AAUW Fund Co-VPs- Ann Daluiso and Ginger Lloyd
Recording Secretary- Catherine Kornweibel
Finance Officer- Marilyn Balzer
Membership Treasurer- Jane Niemeier
Special Activities- Ginny Kurz
Public Policy/Int’l Affairs- Vicki Reed and Charlotte Germundson
Tech Trek- Donna Kruse and Heide Doss
Ways and Means:
-Fundraising by Mail Mary Wells and Marilyn Balzer
-Author’s Luncheon Sherry Butler
Appointed Chair 2020-2021:
Local Scholarships- Carol Perkins and Cindy Rittershofer
College Liaison- Cindy Rittershofer
Women in History- Carol Perkins
Circulation- Martha Powers and Bobbie Dennis
Directory Editor- Jan Tierney
Mass Mailings- Marilyn Balzer
Telephone Links- Ann McDonald
Forecast Editor- Randa Blanding
Hospitality- OPENING (Yolanda Emery needs a Co)
Career Day- Ann McDonald
Speech Trek- Sue Sutton and Sandy Martinez
First Female- Sydney Brown