American Association of University Women (AAUW) – Empowering Women Since 1881
Local to Global
AAUW LA MESA – EL CAJON BRANCH (CA), established on May 3, 1951, has about 180 members and is one of the largest AAUW branches in California. LMEC Branch is affiliated with AAUW California and AAUW National.
History of La Mesa-El Cajon Branch
For more than 70 years, the La Mesa Branch has been active in our community and when we merged with the El Cajon Branch in the mid-1990s, our branch became one of the largest in the state.
• We have maintained our involvement in the community over the years.
• We are in the local schools during March for Women in History month and also in May for Career Day for 5th-grade girls.
• We have networked with The League of Women Voters and other like-minded community organizations.
• Longtime members can be proud of our achievements which continue to attract new members dedicated to our mission to advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education, and advocacy.
• We provide scholarships for women in our local colleges.
• AAUW Fund provides national fellowships, scholarships, and grants for advanced university degrees.
• We fund a Tech Trek science camp for middle school girls to enhance their learning opportunities in STEM.
• We host Speech Trek contests for high school students in February.
• First Female is an essay contest for high school girls held in March.
• International Affairs informs us about women around the world such as the Women Peacemakers.
• Public Policy provides us with up-to-date info on women’s issues.
President: Vicki Spilkin
President-Elect: Jane Drinkwalter
1st VPs – Program: Sue Sutton & Sandy Galea-Martinez
2nd VP – Membership: Ginger Lloyd
3rd VPs – AAUW Fund: Marge Saberg & Joan Camana
Branch Treasurer: Jane Niemeier
Membership Treasurer: Jane Niemeier
Public Policy/Int’l Affairs: Charlotte Germundson & Vicki Reed
Recording Secretary: Linda Gidlund
Special Activities Chair: Joan Camana
Tech Trek Co-chairs: Heide Doss & Jane Drinkwalter
Ways & Means: Jane Niemeier
Career Day: Ann McDonald & Shelley Honig
DEI Representative: Linda Gidlund
Directory Editor: Jan Tierney
Facebook: Jane Niemeier
Financial Reviewer: Enid Farrell
First Female: Sydney Brown
Forecast Co-editors: Randa Blanding & Linda Gidlund
Foundation Rep.: Shirley Stowers
Hospitality: Diane Bouche & Pat Green
Local Scholarships: Carol Perkins
Mass Email: Randa Blanding & Linda Gidlund
Parliamentarian: Joan Camana
Speech Trek: Sue Sutton & Sandy Galea-Martinez
Website: Linda Gidlund
Women in History: Carol Perkins